NCPSG was founded in 1982 by Helen Steele, the spouse of a Person with Parkinson’s (PwP).
The original purpose of the group remains unchanged.
Over the years, under the leadership of dedicated volunteers, the organization expanded to more communities, and introduced programs to include social and exercise opportunities. With a vision of a greater service potential, the North County leaders invited the San Diego Parkinson’s group (now PASD) to reach beyond the City of San Diego for occasional joint panel discussions and other events. That relationship grew over the years to the benefit of our entire region.
Our support of the Parkinson’s Association has continued. NCPSG members have been top fundraisers for Parkinson’s Association San Diego’s annual 5K Step-by-Step walk/run for several years. Financially self-sufficient for decades, we recently became our own independent non-profit. We continue to support the work of the PASD assisting underserved portions of our county.
NCPSG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit California corporation - Donations are greatly appreciated and are deductible.
- Providing information to People with Parkinson’s (PwP), care partners (CP), their families, friends and the public;
- Encouraging participants to share their challenges and successes in coping with Parkinson’s;
- Offering exercise programs, social support and fellowship to participants and their families;
- Supporting scientific research to find a cure for Parkinson’s;
- Acquainting participants with helpful community resources.